Monday, June 7, 2010

Well a slight delay but hopefully worth it.... The reason for the delay was that the engine went in and out 8 times eventually, to solve various leaks, (oil, water and air) and all the other various issues associated with getting a 70 year old bus back on the road after such a long absence.

But today she enjoyed the sunshine, blinked a few times having come out of her long term bay and went for a drive to the paint shop. I'm pleased to report the 30 minute trip went perfectly and she didn't miss a beat.

So with mechanicals now done, electrics in and the exterior complete, we are down to paint and interior as well as of course the small matter of MOT and COIF, but the journey is nearly complete....


Which brings me on nicley to this blog and its conclusion.

The question is how much do I show now of RT8 before its official unveling... The plan is that it will debut 99% finished at my wedding on July 17, before having a full public unveiling on July 30. So do I show it painted or do I in the next update stick to just interior shots and be a terrible tease? I haven't decided as yet... but what I will say is that I will do an update on July 1/2 and then most definitely another one immediately after the public debut on July 30. I will then change the course of the blog over to a general museum one that I will update monthly still and show both large projects and more minor work, and all the stuff that goes on behind the scenes to keep the fleet running as a number of you have expressed an interest in this.

Cheers for now
Steve

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dont think that any one can say any more that has not been said before. But very well done on the work you have done on RT 8, and for all the time taken in telling us about it in photos and words. I look forward to seing it on the road. good luck on the 17th. and again thank you. Roy

Unknown said...

Many thanks for your time and effort, not only in giving us step by step updates, but for bringing this beauty back to her former self. Wishing you well on the 17th and all the best to Ensign's project team. Stu

Andrew said...

I would sugest sticking with the interior shots. so that you and your staff have the first glimpse of what she will look like complete.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the wedding!

Thanks again for keeping us informed on this blog, it's much appreciated.

Cheers

Stuart D

Anonymous said...

Well done to all involved, can't wait to see her finished. Ian

Brian Watkinson said...

Congratulations on a magnificent effort. Is it true the blokes who did this are retiring and there may never be another project of this scale? There are still a few basket cases in the US they could get their teeth into. RTL 598 MCCW RTL or even RTL 1628 abandoned in a Museum car park, still you do have the wedding to pay for.......:-)

All the best Brian Watkinson

Chris said...

Fantastic!
Rereading this blog, I have mental images of John Noakes (of Blue Peter fame) proudly proclaiming 'And today we are going to build a London Bus'!
Very big Blue Peter badges to all concerned in achieving what most can only dream.
As for future updates, my mum told me the anticipation is much better if left until after the wedding....!
Congratulations on your big day, and I look forward to the photos!

Anonymous said...

great job- just hope it will be in LT colour scheme.

Anonymous said...

Re the above comment, after what Ensigns have spent in time and effort on the bus and having saved it from extinction I think they have the right to paint it any colour they want!!

That said I'm sure having gone to such much effort to get it accurate it will be in a suitable period scheme... time will tell

Stuart

Kyle said...

Superb!...Have been quietly following this blog and can't wait to see her in all her glory.
Thanks for another fine restoration job and all the best!

Kyle.